Noooooo, McDeals are coming to an end!
I thought that was a not-so-smart move for McD's, since so many people eat there just for the special of the day. They plan on replacing the deals with a special $1.39 menu (ex. a smaller jr. mcchicken for $1.39) much like what Wendy's is doing with its Super Value Menu. To my knowledge this has been tested in London for at least a year now and is being rolled out nationally this coming Monday. Swayed by some sentimental $4.27 memories, I still partially think that it's not the best strategy for the restaurant; but then I read this article from the NY Times. (no l337 html skillz here): http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/business/19mcdonalds.html
And I quote:
"Since McDonald's started advertising the Dollar Menu nationally, the double cheeseburger has become the chain's most ordered item. Even priced at $1, double cheeseburgers bring in more revenue than salads or the chicken sandwiches, which cost $3.19 to $4.29"
and
"The enormous success of the Dollar Menu, where all items cost $1, has helped stimulate 36 consecutive months of sales growth at stores open at least a year. In three years, revenue has increased by 33 percent and its shares have rocketed 170 percent, a remarkable turnaround for a company that only four years ago seemed to be going nowhere."
Granted that's in the U.S. where more people actively seek out the gorging of unnecessary sodium and fat. But I suppose the $1.39 menu could work here, especially in Toronto where people are generally busier and have less time for a proper meal. So kudos to McD's for finding something that works for them in the States and London, especially since they weren't doing so well before. We can save some money on a meal now, but it's unfortunate to think that 20 years from now we'll just end up paying with our health. And if not with our personal health then with taxes to support those who are paying with their health. Oh the sweet (salty?) taste of capitalism with a side of socialism for kicks. With all that said, I'm kind of craving for a McGai or a Filet-O...one last McDeal run for closure, anyone?
I thought that was a not-so-smart move for McD's, since so many people eat there just for the special of the day. They plan on replacing the deals with a special $1.39 menu (ex. a smaller jr. mcchicken for $1.39) much like what Wendy's is doing with its Super Value Menu. To my knowledge this has been tested in London for at least a year now and is being rolled out nationally this coming Monday. Swayed by some sentimental $4.27 memories, I still partially think that it's not the best strategy for the restaurant; but then I read this article from the NY Times. (no l337 html skillz here): http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/business/19mcdonalds.html
And I quote:
"Since McDonald's started advertising the Dollar Menu nationally, the double cheeseburger has become the chain's most ordered item. Even priced at $1, double cheeseburgers bring in more revenue than salads or the chicken sandwiches, which cost $3.19 to $4.29"
and
"The enormous success of the Dollar Menu, where all items cost $1, has helped stimulate 36 consecutive months of sales growth at stores open at least a year. In three years, revenue has increased by 33 percent and its shares have rocketed 170 percent, a remarkable turnaround for a company that only four years ago seemed to be going nowhere."
Granted that's in the U.S. where more people actively seek out the gorging of unnecessary sodium and fat. But I suppose the $1.39 menu could work here, especially in Toronto where people are generally busier and have less time for a proper meal. So kudos to McD's for finding something that works for them in the States and London, especially since they weren't doing so well before. We can save some money on a meal now, but it's unfortunate to think that 20 years from now we'll just end up paying with our health. And if not with our personal health then with taxes to support those who are paying with their health. Oh the sweet (salty?) taste of capitalism with a side of socialism for kicks. With all that said, I'm kind of craving for a McGai or a Filet-O...one last McDeal run for closure, anyone?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home