There's Something Fishy Going On!

Served with a generous helping of cheese, corn, and other good stuff.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Week 3.

Thus begins the third week of my last term at Laurier. Things have been going pretty well in the sense that one presentation has already been taken care of and I’ve gotten quite a few administrative thing sorted out. As for studying, let’s just say my $172 tax package is still shrink-wrapped. No matter, this week will be a major catch-up week. Can you feel the drive?!

So this past week had been filled with one company information session (read: freebies) after another. Most of the accounting firms mentioned how there are a lot of growth opportunities right now in Calgary, Alberta. During the application process, I had some time to think about whether or not I should apply. Where it was an option, I did, although not as a first choice. Why? Because I think competition will be a little less fierce there (ie. smaller labour pool) and it’s close enough to Toronto so I can travel back and forth to visit if I want. I tried to see myself in that city, having my own place, establishing new relationships, and it all led to one question...where is home?

I think about how my parents moved from China to HK when they were young, surely they adapted quickly to the city. Did they imagine that decades later they’d uproot themselves again and move to Canada with kids in tow? Then there is the fact that if I tell someone “I’m going home” on a Thursday night, it would be ambiguous as to whether that meant my Waterloo home or Soggy home. Obviously a home is not just a building itself (aka. a house).

After some more thinking, my conclusion is this. Home is:
-where there is nothing stopping you from being yourself
-where you can re-energize after a day of work/study/etc
-where the people/pets/houseplants you care about are
-where you can run on auto-pilot, just for a little bit
-where you can do embarrassing things but it’s ok

And to tie that back in with Calgary...if I really do have to make a decision, would I be able to and is it worth it to establish all that (even if it’s just for 2 years) outside of what I already know as home?

Ahhh questions questions questions. I said I’d try to sleep before 4 today so that’s it for now. Any bed w/ clean sheets will always be a home to me.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:04 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    VERT! how environmentally friendly of you!

    i like it, it's fresh, it's fab, it reminds me of mold!

    glad to read that the fish is getting along just swimmingly =) HAR!

    miss ya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home